Thursday, June 9, 2011

Marie Moves Me

I've been teaching a 5 year-old in China for just over a month now. When we began, neither she nor her mother knew any English at all. But now she sings the alphabet perfectly, can draw the letters beautifully and pronounce them flawlessly. I am so proud of her.

As her first English teacher, it was my responsibility to give her a name. I gave her "Marie," the middle name that I share with Sophia (my daughter). Every time I praise her good work, she says "thank you, Jen!" It is a joy to share my Wednesday evenings with Marie and her mother.

The best part of our lessons is the love I get to witness between Marie and her mother. When Marie is particularly proud of herself, she beams and reaches out to her mother to hug her and kiss her. Their affection is almost palpable and I am so privileged to participate in this small piece of their lives.

I've heard of harsh Asian parents who drive their children to perform at any expense. When I was offered this job, I was afraid that teaching English to a 5 year-old might somehow participate in a cruel, inhumane system. But it has been anything but. Marie loves our lessons, is a delightful and enthusiastic learner, and is supported by -- not commanded by -- a loving and patient mother. I am so honored to know Marie and her mother, and their love for each other.

No comments: